Sunday, September 27, 2009

Gym Class Bully

Believe it or not the purpose of this ad probes no deeper than a sorry attempt to get you to purchase a gym membership. Look closely, past the scantily clad nuns and the totally inappropriate mockery of the Catholic Church, and you may find yourself lusting after a hotter body… right?

Well, not exactly. In my opinion, the ad does little more than manage to singly handedly piss off a lot of people. For example, people who chose to devote their lives to making the world a better place. In this ad you can see that these nuns are experiencing impure desires, three of them gawk at a fully naked man while flashing a little leg while a fourth nun peeks shamelessly into the room. It is a wide known fact that nuns are celibate and I believe that the ad is extremely controversial because it pokes fun at one of the noblest professions known to mankind.

Furthermore, aren’t we all getting a little tired of making fun of nuns? Honestly, has there ever been a group of people that deserved it least? I feel like this ad has definitely gone too far. I am not catholic, I don’t even consider myself a religious person but I do respect the religious beliefs of others. I am all about a good laugh but not at the cost of shamelessly mocking something that so many people hold dearly.

6 comments:

  1. Pearlie, I agree, this is terrible. I am Catholic and I have a good friend who is a nun. All the nuns I've known are more concerned at helping others than on having impure thoughts. They could say someone is nice looking because they are very aware of western standards, but unlike our image obsessed society they see the beauty in everyone. This is an advertisement for a gym??!!! Apparently the gym wants to loose all Catholic members.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pearlie I think this is awful too. I am a catholic myself. I am not one to be some headstrong religious person. I do find this crossing the line however.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you and the other comments so far. This image is going way to far and is in bad taste. It is one thing to hypersexualize women in general, adding in the fact they are nuns just takes this image from distasteful to filth. It is very controversial and I hope the company lost profits because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, amazing what some people will come up with for advertisements. I am not religious, but as you said this is a mockery of nuns, who are devoted to the church and all. Plus this ad doesn't even go with the idea of getting someone to want to go get a gym membership. Nuns definitely deserve more respect than this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you. I think this is one poor quality advertisement and made in even poorer taste. First of all, it took me a while to even realize what the picture meant. Without your explanation of the picture I still might not have understood it. I guess the advertisement is trying to say that even women as pure as nuns can become distracted by a built man. I too find it very demeaning to nuns as well as the catholic church

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete