Thursday, October 29, 2009

Three Topic Choices

The first choice I am considering for my essay is exploring the affect that the negative portrayal of black women has on growing black females. Should I choose this topic, my essay would revolve around the stereotyping and hypersexualization of black women in todays media. Young black girls look to the media for role models and all they see are scantily clad models chasing after washed up rappers and scantily clad models shaking their behinds in music videos for washed up rappers. This imagery causes body image and self esteem issues amongst young black females.

The second choice I am considering is reality television. The lack of reality in reality television gives young adults false expectations about the real world. Television shows like the hills, which, let's be honest, is about 20% reality, show young adults spending money with no apparent income, or getting fabulous jobs with little to no education. What they fail to show is $100,000 paycheck they receive per episode. Also, they show these young adults fighting over boys and spreading harsh rumors but what they fail to show is the producers in the background cooking up plot scenarios.

The third and final angle I am considering is violence in rap music. Rap music is blamed for so much in this day and age. Many people believe that the violent lyrics in some rap music is accountable for violence in teen America. I disagree completely with that notion and my essay would describe why it is unfair to blame this genre of music on real world problems.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Pearlie,
    Great topics! But I think it is a tough choice. The rap music one is cool but I think that rap music reflects violence in our culture instead of proviking it, but you could prove me wrong!
    I can't stand reality TV shows, I think they are lame, has anyone stopped to wonder how playing with the lives of people could affect people? However, I don't know how much information is available on this topic, so I would no choose it.
    You first topic I think is very interesting. I can relate, because if you ever go by a spanish television channel you will see very scantly dressed women and that is how it is throughout Latin American television. Very few or no female role models which are doing something that does not involve shaking bottoms or bouncing... well you understand.
    I would love to see women being famous for their achivements. How about Condeleeza Rice why isn't she on the cover of more magazines? There is a good role model for young girls across any race.
    Best of Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Josefina that it is a tough choice. I personally think you should talk about your firsttopic. Only, because it is very original and we have not talked about it during class. I think it would be an interesting topic to write about. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second topic is similar to my topic,but I focus on how reality TV can change someones life, possibly for the worse. I like how yours talks about how it gives youth a false reality on life.

    ReplyDelete